New Unfair Debt Collection Laws?
Potential new laws with the aim of preventing unfair debt collection practices are on the cards from the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office and state Division of Banks.
The below are some of the details being discussed…
- A debt collection agency cannot call you at home more than twice a week.
- They collection agency cannot call you at work if you have asked them not to.
- The person contacting you has to provide their name and the name of the debt collection company they are calling from.
- All correspondence must go through your legal representative, should you have one.
- The debt collection agent must not use obscene language.
- False threats of legal action will be prohibited from being made